Plainfield is centrally located so many points of interest are an easy drive away. Things other guests often see while staying include Ben and Jerry’s, the Cabot Cheese tour and store, downtown Montpelier’s wonderful shops, Northfield Falls’ covered bridges, Lake Champlain, the view from the top of Spruce Mountain (right in Plainfield), The Country Bookshop (for a great selection of aniquarian books), Grand View Winery, Cold Hollow Apple Cider stand, and Morse or Bragg Farms (for maple syrup and maple creemees). Some guests in nice weather simply enjoy relaxing out back while watching the lambs frolicking or a magnificent sunset.
Plainfield boasts it’s widely acclaimed Positive Pie Tap and Grill for an excellent dinner serving local ingredients. Montpelier also has a number of excellent choices for dinner. You’re in the heart of localvore country!
Regardless of your interests or the season you visit, you’ll find something that captures your interest, or find the peace and quiet to do nothing at all.
- Hike to top of Spruce Mountain right here in Plainfield. The fire tower at the top will reward you with 360° views, including Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
- Golf. The Barre Country Club is a great course: http://ccofbarre.net/. You could almost walk there from here.
- Kayak or canoe the nearby reservoir and look or listen for the loons, pack a picnic lunch and stop at a favorite landing spot to swim and eat.
- Get out on your bikes and explore what’s just over the next hill.
- Relax in the Adirondack chairs out back, enjoying the Green Mountains and the grazing lambs.
- Horseback Riding. Two local options available—just ask us!
- Have a Maple Creeme at Bragg or Morse Family Farms. Read about creemees here: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2010/06/maple-creemees/
- Catch a performance at:
- Hike to the top of Spruce Mountain right here in Plainfield. The fire tower at the top will reward you with 360° views of the fall foliage, including Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Or, get in one last hike on Camels Hump before the snow arrives.
- Head over to Cold Hollow Cider Mill for some fresh apple cider and cider donuts.
- Take a foliage drive through the Northeast Kingdom.
- See summer listings above!
- Put on the cross country skis or snowshoes and head out the back door. Go to Morse Farm to check out their groomed trails and treat ourselves with a maple creemee afterwards.
- Visit one of our favorite museums.
- Have some retail therapy at the area antique shops.
- Visit a gallery for Christmas, holiday or birthday shopping (or often just to check out their latest exhibit).
- Take a baking class at King Arthur Flour.
- Watch and smell the sap being transformed into maple syrup at a local sugarhouse.
- Experience spring “foliage season” with the bright greens, reds, and yellows as the trees are budding and leafing.
- Visit a local brewery for a tour and taste.
Museums & Galleries
- The Blinking Light Gallery
16 Main Street, Plainfield, VT 05667
Thursdays 2pm-6pm; Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10am-6pm
- The Country Bookshop
35 Mill Street, Plainfield, VT 05667
Open year round. Every day, seven days a week, 10am-5pm
- TW Wood Gallery in Montpelier
Barre Street, Montpelier, VT 05602
- St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (A beautiful building by itself—but you’re rewarded with a wonderful Bierstadt if you go.)
1171 Main Street, St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
- The Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium (museum of natural history)
1302 Main Street, St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
- Artisans Hand
89 Main St/City Center, Montpelier, VT 05602
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Sunday 12pm-4pm
- Vermont Historical Society Museum
109 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05602
- Hood Museum of Art (at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH)
Wheelock St, Hanover, NH 03755
Closed on Mondays; Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5pm; Wednesday 10am-9pm; Sunday 12pm-5pm
Other Points of Interest
- The Vermont Statehouse
Our capitol building is beautiful inside and out. Be sure to check out the Cedar Creek room for its paintings. The beautifully restored House chamber is also a must-see.
- Cabot Cheese Visitor’s Center
- Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory Tours
1281 Waterbury-Stowe Road, Waterbury, VT 05676
- Eaton Hill Textile Works
- Marshfield School of Weaving
Central Vermont is a great place to find antiques. A number of pieces in the house are finds from area antique shops.
- Cushings Clutter Antiques
42 Brook Road, Plainfield, VT 05667
Large selection of furniture.
- East Barre Antique Mall
133 Mill Street, East Barre, VT 05649
- Route 2 Antiques & Restorations
3070 U.S. 2, East Montpelier, VT 05651
Single dealer of furniture.